Starts: Saturday 03 Mar 2018
Places: 15 ( Left: 0 )
Time: 10am - 4pm
Duration: 2 days
Tutor: Peter Carter
Price: € 50.00
Due to the success of the 'Beekeeping Information Evening' held at The Benwiskin Centre on 19th Sept 2017, facilitated by Peter Carter, Education Officer of the Sligo Leitrim Beekeepers Association, a 2 day course 'Introduction to Beekeeping' has now been organised for 3rd and 10th March 2018.
The course content will include:-
· Wild woodland creatures
· Ancient Egypt, stone age man etc.
· Ecology - if bees become extinct the human race would soon be too!
· Bumble bees, honey bees and wasps (others too)
· Honey bee - the differences
· Honey bees colony - hierarchy, life cycle
· Bee keeping year
· Structure/components. What happens and where (why). Bee space
· Starting up.....getting bees, when? Care and monitoring
· Spring feeds, regular inspections, swarms, honey, winter
· Types of hive
· Pheromones and control
· Role (s)
· Inspections. Record keeping
· Recognising, eggs, larvae and sealed brood
· Swarms, prevention
· Being responsible
· Bee suits, boots, gloves etc.
· Siting. Considering your neighbours and the public
· Insurance (joining club)
· Life span of a Queen
· Replacing. Different introduction cages
· Marking and clipping methods
· Identifying and dealing with Queen-less hive
Bee Health 1
Bee Health 2
· Hive and frame construction
· Stings and anaphylaxis
· Practical, use of and lighting smoker
· Opening hives
· Ongoing plans support mentors
As there has been great interest in this course, we have full numbers at this stage but there is always the possibility that someone could cancel, so let us know if you are interested and we can call you if a space becomes available.
The fee for this course is €50 and includes the cost of a frame which you will construct during the course, a certificate and tea/coffee/biscuits for breaks. (You are advised to bring a lunch with you both days and you will have access to the kitchen/dining room to make tea/coffee etc. for your lunch break).
To secure your place, you are required to pay a deposit of €15 which you can pay by clicking here or call into the Centre during office hours Mon - Fri 9am - 5pm.
If you have any queries, please do not hesitate to contact us on 071 9176721.